[Geodata] [Not free geodata] Google MapMaker

François Van Der Biest francois.vanderbiest at camptocamp.com
Wed Jun 25 04:59:24 EDT 2008

Do you know http://www.google.com/mapmaker ?

This application will enable Google to create a vector database on
countries not covered by proprietary geodata (navtech, teleatlas ...),
by letting its users digitalize on google rasters.

Will it be a strong competitor for OSM ?
Not for me in any case, as long as the terms of use state that :
"By submitting User Submissions to the Service, you give Google a
perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive
license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly
perform, publicly display, distribute, and create derivative works of
the User Submission."

A nice move anyway.

This might be worth an official OSGeo position, don't you think ?
I would not like to see users fooled in contributing to this "geodata
blackhole".

Cheers,
F.

PS : OSM guys have already made a response :
http://www.opengeodata.org/?p=307