[Geodata] Community Schemas: Making sense out of disparate data sets

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 19:23:57 EDT 2008

OSGeo Data Committee,
I've been hearing that people here in Australia have been forwarding
this essay below to decision makers and hence thought I should make sure
you guys know about it. I believe the essay covers a number of issues
touched on by Schuyler's presentation at FOSS4G. (Excellent
presentation, despite being recorded through a handy cam and posted to
the web.)

http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2008/10/community-schemas-making-sense-out-of.html

I've written the essay hoping to encourage data providers to think
beyond putting their data online, and to get them to work out how to get
their data into usable formats.

      Community Schemas: Making sense out of disparate datasets
      <http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2008/10/community-schemas-making-sense-out-of.html>

With so many organizations publishing geospatial datasets using
standards based web services, a raft of new opportunities for large
scale data analysis are presenting themselves. The challenge now is
integrating the datasets which use different terms and attributes to
describe the same data. For example, "water quality" (good, medium, bad)
in one database might equate to "pollution level" (1,2,3,4,5) in another.

The rest of the essay is at:
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2008/10/community-schemas-making-sense-out-of.html

--
Cameron Shorter