[Geodata] US Broadband Plan - Call for Participation

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Thu Aug 27 14:59:54 EDT 2009

Hello All from the San Francisco Bay Area, California -

   The US Federal Govt, Office of the White House, FCC and NTIA are
mandated by a line item in the Federal Stimulus Bill (ARRA) to prepare
a National Broadband improvement plan in about 15 weeks. I have called
upon OSGeo to take a position for a transparent and participatory
process, and am calling on the list for interested parties to speak up!

Here are some supporting items accrued so far:

http://www.broadband.gov/

Request for OSGeo  Board Meeting Agenda item:

   The US Federal Stimulus Act of 2009 ("ARRA") is creating both
challenges and new opportunities as projects declared in the Act get
underway. With regard to the National Telecommunications and
Information Administration - Broadband Technology Opportunities Program
created by the ARRA, the OSGeo Board has issued a letter dated 03July09
stating a strong backing of the concept of transparent and public
geodata, and an interest in contacting principals close to the issue.
Some members of the Board expressed that they may not have time to give
this matter their full attention, if and when it proceeds.

   I propose that OSGeo designate a Point of Contact (p-o-c) in the US
for this program. Further I propose that the Board designate this
project as a priority for OSGeo in the United States.

-- Slides here --
http://71.202.181.1/osgeo/NTIA-initiative/base4.html

----
** SO the Board meeting went well.. The OSGeo Board directed that OSGeo
produce a position paper by the end of this month.. There are multiple
venues to present this..

  The US Point of Contact is not 100% resolved yet, but, we are looking
at ways to gather resources to make this possible.

There are grants associated with this program from Washington DC
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/broadbandgrants/index.html

----
Following is a sketch of a position paper I wrote and sent out..
It covers multiple bases, but one thing to remember is that the Federal
stakeholders process is discusssing all of Broadband in the US, while
we at OSGeo are concerned with the mapping of broadband (primarily)..
How is it aggregated? Where are the repositories? with what technology
are the repos built? Who gets access? What are the revision controls?
Where is the line of confidential vs public information, and under what
review? How is it presented?

-----

ARRA Broadband Mapping Geo Data Architectural Considerations

* This is not a committee process
   - similarly ambitious architectures have taken years to complete
   - the timeline for this project is design to implementation in less
than two years, more like first design running within months
   - but, there must be peer review, with a rational management process
via FCC/NTIA and designated civilian representatives
   - there must be civilian and third party access, at all levels, with
proper safegurads in place
   - there will be iterations; a successful architecture is flexible to
evolution
   - INSPIRE/OSM/NZ as leading models; ESRI/Dept of Homeland Security,
GEOSS, Google MyMaps as influences  ** others?? **
   - http://broadbandmap.govt.nz/map/

* Technically, the task is acheivable
   - current IT is more than capable of handling the repository,
contributors, revisions and access
   - like the EU's INSPIRE, and GEOSS, interoperability, not
homogeneity, is the lynch-pin

* Public and Open access to data is the default, not the exception
   - security and competitive concerns can be addressed as needed per
case
   - states will have responsibility for the quality and content of
their contributions, with recourse upon demonstrable shortcomings
   - forthcoming Berkman review paper cited

Architecture Diagram One
   ** this sketch shows Federal as the public view **

   (supply by carrier type and coverage; demand by location and category)
   (state repos are secure and privelaged access - federal and civilian
designates have a r/w key)
   (federal repo has secure backend, fed by state repos - states and
civilian designates have a r/w key)
   (public repo fed from secure federal repo with regulatory filtering)
   (public feedback to public repo - feedback is public, ala OSM)
   (public feedback to state repos)

====

==
Brian Hamlin