[Geodata] Re: Request to host the "greek" CORINE land cover map (2)

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 00:18:57 EST 2009

Nikos:

David Bitner wrote:
> I apologize, but if there is no one on our committee with access to our
> hosting resources who has spoken up and is willing to spearhead finding
> a place where we can host this data that we will not be able to fulfill
> your request.  We are a volunteer group and rely entirely on the
> efforts of individuals to make anything happen. Unfortunately, we are
> not organized to be able to accommodate requests all requests that come
> in.

given the name and mission of this mailing list, perhaps this dataset is
a good opportunity to better clarify/set some more of that infrastructure
in place.

Nikos, see:
  http://www.osgeo.org/geodata/repository
  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geodata_Repository
  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:Geodata_Repository

perhaps here could help as well: http://www.okfn.org/geo/
?  (Jo Walsh seems to be heavily involved both places...)

I would suggest geotorrent.org but that seems to be gone now (I am not
very surprised, since ER Mapper got bought out it seemed to be rather
neglected) Perhaps that is a service we could provide (only those granted
write access could add trackers so it doesn't get spammed with unlegal
stuff).

The only trouble I see is with the "non-commercial" clause. That is a
problem for .org's like Debian but I don't think it is a deal-breaker
here. Having data for research & teaching is wonderful. (it's a bit
unclear what "non-commercial" means anyway. is a university a business?
is a sponsored research grant paid work? industry funded scholarship?
etc.  OSGeo is a registered non-profit, so by defn non-commercial)

Hamish