[Geodata] about OSGeo geodata catalog

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Jun 16 12:19:55 EDT 2009

All,

Is the end intent to search for "raw" OGC data feeds, like WMS/WFS or to
search for and catalog other GeoNetwork resources or both?

We've been looking at these type of organizational tasks for a while
now, but one of the big hangups on this end, is how to handle data that
does not originate in our office.   Who should handle the upkeep of
those datasets?  We're about 2/3 outside datasets with about 1/3 of our
data stores originating internally.

It's also unclear to me how to best approach the organization of the
data, especially when worrying about regional vs national or
international users.  Our office is primarily focused on regional
activities (at most) and more specifically our little City.

It seems like a community driven approach is the most desirable, but the
buy-in by the data owners, at least initially is somewhat dubious.  The
typical user being able to trusting the published links and being able
to contact the publishers directly are a couple of the most important
aspects for us, and these two aspects require a significant level of
buy-in by the data publishers to be effective.

Granted I'm viewing this from a bottom up perspective, but I'm also
biased and think that the bottom level data is the best available as
well  :c)  There are possible options with classification of data as
well, as in Local, Regional, National, international, etc.  This is a
lot of work to jump into.  Is it going to be possible to have a good
framework where by each dataset owner/publisher will feel comfortable
with the effort required to publish?

Just some thoughts on the subject as I've been reading through the posts
. . .

bobb

bobb

David William Bitner escribió:
> Jorge,
>
> There have been several false starts at getting a catalog going for
the
> OSGeo GeoData Committee.  The biggest hindrance has been that there
has
> been nobody in the group who truly had a need for this catalog that
> could really push them to get it going and to populate it and maintain
it.

Well having it configured and available is the first step for us. Let
see what happens.

- From gvSIG perspective, this catalog will be our first place to offer
for our CSW client, and any new geo-resource we detect could be recorded
here.

At OSGeo-ES we've been waiting for this tool because of course is better
to use well known SDI-focused tools than directly the wiki, no matter
what ed parsons say[1] :D

> I think that just about everyone agrees that it would be interesting
and
> "a good thing" to have an OSGeo catalog -- the only council I would
like
> to give is to make sure that there are enough volunteers who really
have
> a committment to get things to happen.  The last push for setting up
> GeoNetwork was being led by Lorenzo Becchi (who I believe is part of
> OSGeo-ex) and Jeroen.  They both, I believe, have access to the
> Telascience servers and hopefully could be coerced into helping orient
> those willing to put the effort in.  We can work with the OSGeo SAC
and
> the folks at Telascience on identifying an area on the servers and
> getting the correct permissions set up.

Well Lorenzo at this time is pretty busy but I'm sure he will promote it
in all events he attends :-)

> I look forward to hearing more of your plans!  Please let us know
> whatever we can do to help you out.

Having your support it's what I firstly asked for.

Well, now I suppose we need help to find the geonetwork instance (it's
funny that I can't find a "finding tool") and define a channel to ask
for account on the geonetwork instance (trac tickets at SAC?).

Cheers
[1] http://twitter.com/edparsons/status/2176645511
- --
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas