[geo-discuss] [Geodata] Re: Geodata in CKAN and collaboration (was Re: Responding to the consultation on opening Ordnance Survey's data)

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Feb 9 07:37:33 EST 2010

On Feb 8, 2010, at 8:28 PM, Jo Walsh wrote:
> On 09/02/2010 02:09, SteveC wrote:
>>> Have you looked at the data license menu from CKAN.net - the
>>> dropdown list at http://www.ckan.net/package/new
>
> The list there does include non-commercial use options, both Creative Commons and Other flavours.

The point is for data...

> Personally, I agree with you that some NC use, particularly for the public sector can be seen as part of a progression and used to bargain with. "Give us time... the supporting culture needs to adapt...".
>
> It can be unclear whether a use is non-commercial - there is a growing grey area - and it can be expensive to test it. If I support my local history site with Google AdWords, is that commercial use?
>
> The cost of commercial licensing of data may outweigh the benefit, even economically. Links to and re-use of data may have serious future value for preservation, outweighing short-term gains.
>
> There will be redistribution of data that quickly loses attachment to the non-commercial license terms, once it is used in a combined work.

Sure. I don't doubt there will be a set of problems and it will take time. What's clear though from other licenses is that it can be done and we shouldn't give up because either it will be hard or there is a religious position on what is free or not.

> Well, I don't see the harm, in the abstract, of providing a draft Non-Commercial Use ODbL-modelled license if there is a constituency out there really requiring it. (Though will this help fix the problem of conflating differently-licensed overlapping data sets?)
>
> Whether that is a full-fledged "Open Data Commons" license is ultimately up to Jordan Hatcher, I guess. If you have someone who can put time into putting a draft, that would really help sort it out.

Exactly - it will take an organisation and resources to do it, which is why the first step is to figure out what Rufus and Jordan think?

Yours &c.

Steve