[geo-discuss] [Geodata] Re: Geodata in CKAN and collaboration (was Re: Responding to the consultation on opening Ordnance Survey's data)

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Thu Feb 11 14:14:10 EST 2010

On Feb 10, 2010, at 11:05 PM, Hamish wrote:

>> That menu has to include attribution, share alike and NC.
>

> I think this thread is going nowhere fast, so I'll try to let it
> die, but I'd would like to point out a couple of things.
>

> - non-commercial-use licenses are pretty much useless for the
> academic world.

And it's exactly that kind of small-minded thinking that's holding everything up. There are plenty of people for which NC *is* very useful and you guys are missing out on a far bigger prize of having a license menu by holding on to your positions of what people 'should' be allowed to do, like you're legislators or something. Remember - the ODbL would never have happened if we didn't have the courage and drive to ignore the Science Commons folks. I think the next steps to put this together will require similar effort.

Yours &c.

Steve