[Geodata] Starting work on a metadata.osgeo.org service

Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas jsanz at osgeo.org
Sun Jun 13 11:12:00 EDT 2010

On 11 June 2010 14:32, Arnulf Christl <arnulf.christl at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
> anybody interested in joining efforts for an OSGeo service on geodata?
>
> We have planned to have some such since OSGeo's inception (and me way before
> that) but never formed a more concrete action around it. It would be nice to
> move the Wiki page with service URLs and the Geodata Discovery Group (see
> Wiki) into a more usable portal type of place. There is considerable
> know-how and software around, GeoNetwork and Mapbender have shown interest
> in helping maintain this sub domain.
>
> With OSGeo's move to the new service infrastructure it seems like we can get
> decent hardware to support a permanantly available service and it would be
> really great to have it in place before the INSPIRE Open Source Mash-Up [1]
> in Krakov. This event might help generate a healthy stream of input from the
> Open Source world to INSPIRE and back and make this list [2] a bit longer
> and way more accessible. There is a ticket in SAC [3] right now that
> describes one perspective on the service.
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf
>
> [1]
> http://inspire-forum.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pg/groups/13847/first-inspire-mashup-event-creating-new-apps-for-biodiversity/
> [2] http://inspire-forum.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pg/bookmarks/group:13847/items
> [3] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/568
>
> --
> Have fun!

Great to hear that Arnulf,

Last summer I tried to move on this thing but, well, I was
unsuccessful (I won't try to move anything on summer, indeed)

Anyway, I know there's interest about an OSGeo metadata catalogue,
both from gvSIG project but also from OSGeo Spanish Local Chapter, so
be sure that there will be people willing to collaborate on this
project.

Best

--
Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas