[Geodata] Geodata Research

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Jan 24 15:28:07 EST 2011

David,

You wrote: "As part of my M.A. in Computer Science I am going to be
doing GIS research, and
my interests look like they align well with the goals of the Public
Geospatial
Data Project. I am planning on doing three semesters of research
(starting now)
leading up to a thesis."

I take it your interests are along the software development lines, since
your major is in computer science. Can you give us any more details on
the topic of your thesis? Are you researching a solutions to a technical
challenge? Or is your thesis focused on policy issues? What do you hope
the end result of your research project will be? Is it going to be a
software package, a set of best-practices, or something else? I'm just
trying to understand the relationship between your research and open
geospatial data.

You wrote: "So I am seeking both ways to get involved and some guidance
if anyone will offer it."

I don't have time for yet another unfulfilled commitment to a volunteer
project, but I can make myself available for "guidance" delivered via
phone calls and e-mails. You might also subscribe to the OSGeo discuss
list if you haven't already.

You wrote: "I want to see OSGeo get their geodata repository off the
ground and would be
happy to work on researching data standards, building the browsing
interface,
building the back-end, and researching discovery methods (one thing at a
time)."

David Bitner gave you a good response to this. The first question to ask
is "Why does the OSGeo need a GIS data repository, and how will it be
different from existing repositories?". I'm not saying there isn't a
need in this area, but you should understand what type of problem you
are trying to solve. As a land surveyor, I'm certainly interested in
encouraging and national land parcel dataset, which comes with all sorts
of challenges. Some of these are typical of all geospatial data
catalogs, and some are specific to the parcel dataset. Another
interesting concept is a SourceForge like system for geospatial data,
with specific data creation projects.

Have you checked out the Natural Earth GIS data set?

http://www.naturalearthdata.com/ <http://www.naturalearthdata.com/>

You wrote: "I am not an experienced programmer, but have some
familiarity with a number of
languages including C, C++, Python, Haskell and Bash. I also have some
experience with CSS/HTML."

Python, CSS, and HTML coding skills seem like a good fit for your area
of interest.

I look forward to learning more about your research if you can share
some details with us.

Landon