[Geodata] Rebooting this committee

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 06:13:41 PDT 2012

On Jul 30, 2012, at 8:35 AM, Matthias Müller <Matthias_Mueller at tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> Interesting discussion!
>
> What about choosing the word "Free" for "public and open"? There's already a good concept for free software which can be adapted for free geodata:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

Good gosh no. The GNU idea of free, which applies to software and not very well to data, is not considered open by many.

Am afraid we might get stuck on the choice of name here, but it is worth giving it some thought. Personally, I would like to see both "public" and "open" included in the conversation, with the clear understanding that they are two separate though perhaps overlapping, in part, concepts.