[Geodata] Rebooting this committee

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Mon Jul 30 06:39:32 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Arnulf Christl
<arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net> wrote:
> It struck me as sensible that the mailing list is just named
> "geodata". OSGeo is all about Open Source software but the very
> definition of Open (...) Data is far from as well defined.

The Open Definition might be useful:

'The Open Definition sets out principles to define ‘openness’ in
relation to content and data and can be summed up in the statement
that: “A piece of content or data is open if anyone is free to use,
reuse, and redistribute it — subject only, at most, to the requirement
to attribute and/or share-alike.”'

http://opendefinition.org/

It is mentioned and adopted by numerous organisations, projects, and
policy documents to give a more formal definition of the 'open' in
'open data'.

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator