[Geodata] [SAC] Hosting for http://openstreetmap.org.ar/

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Mar 21 10:31:44 PDT 2014

You just pointed out the hold up. We've never handled a request for
dedicated hardware. If this is something the board wants to back then we
should consider it. Previously we've offer shared hosting to OSGeo
projects, and small informational sites to chapters.

Double the specs requested is actually more than we've given most
projects. On the flip-side, few projects have asked for more, but I'm
not sure anyone knows the mechanism by which to request resources. Seems
these days many just go off and do their own thing (e.g. foss4g sites,
QGIS docker, etc...)

As for hosting in South America, someone would need to find a good place
before we considered that. Can someone put together some quotes for
comparison of hosting this vs. buying hardware?
These look like potential hosting options
http://openvz.org/Hosting_providers#Argentina

Not to muddle the waters, but if we can get the peer1 osgeo1 turned off,
that money can easily be redirected to more hardware. Other than that I
haven't really payed attention to the budget for SAC since we just got
the backup server we wanted. Looks like we do have some funds. My
priority would be to pay to get osgeo1 moved and peer1 off. Then we can
reallocate those funds to projects like this.

Thanks,
Alex