[GeoForAll-Iberoamerica] IJPM: Call for Article Submission

SERGIO ACOSTAYLARA sergio.acostaylara at mtop.gub.uy
Fri Feb 4 06:29:26 PST 2022

FYI/de interés:

Sergio Acosta y Lara
Departamento de Geomática
Dirección Nacional de Topografía
URUGUAY
(598)29157933 ints. 20329
http://geoportal.mtop.gub.uy/

________________________________
De: Editorial Board <journal at pmappingsociety.org>
Enviado: viernes, 4 de febrero de 2022 11:07
Para: SERGIO ACOSTAYLARA
Asunto: Call for Article Submission

International Journal of Participatory Mapping
[X]

IJPM Call for Submissions 2022-23

Hello Sergio

Participatory mapping is a collaborative map-making process. It engages community members as well as researchers, governments, NGOs and other community groups in making maps and visualisations that represent the cultural, physical and socio-economic spatial knowledge of local relationships. As a field of research and practice, it has been used in a broad range of contexts including urban and rural planning, indigenous land claims and resource rights, social and spatial justice, governance, climate change, environmental conservation and management, public health, mobility studies, conflict management, cultural histories, and activism in representing identity.
The participation can be in the form of highly structured and digital technology-mediated tasks that are part of a wider crowdsourcing effort, or it might be an intense all-consuming cultural and emotional process that involves a small number of people creating highly personal knowledge-maps. It may be individual, or group, or community, efforts. There are many forms of participation and many ways to create geographical representations.

The International Journal of Participatory Mapping (IJPM) is the world’s first and only journal dedicated to participatory mapping. The journal is closely associated with the International Society of Participatory Mapping (ISPM), whose membership spans practitioners, researchers, and scholars in both public and private institutions and organisations in over 67 countries. Its usership (readership) however is wider than the ISPM and it is designed to reach practitioners, activists, social scientists, and policy influencers.

The IJPM Editorial Board has identified special themes for the first four issues which will cover the first two years of the publication. Papers can be submitted for peer review anytime before the deadlines outlined in the theme calls.
You need to indicate your intent to submit a paper by email to the guest editor of a special issue with the title of the paper, authors, and abstract. The full manuscript, as a word document,will be uploaded to our IJPM Dashboard<https://gmail.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6142e541f362ba5f29e697f62&id=85805e3772&e=6c7c586a86>.

Issue 1 - Unravelling the history, theory, scope, and politics of participatory mapping (submit by June 1st 2022)

Participatory maps provide valuable visual representations of what a community and people perceive as their place and space and of the significant features and values within.  We seek articles that address concepts and document the experiences of both scholars and practitioners. In doing so we hope to unravel the genealogy and unfolding of the theory, applications, and politics of the practice.

  *   Historical roots of participatory mapping (counter-mapping, feminist epistemology, and giving voice to marginalized and underrepresented peoples)
  *   Theorizing participatory mapping (participation, empowerment, trust processes, cartographic encounters, geographic translation, restorative justice, and good governance)
  *   Historical and/or contemporary politics of participatory mapping (power, capital, state/nation building, extraction, spatial and environmental inequity, inclusion/exclusion, Citizen Science)
  *   Analysis of participatory mapping from socio-technical frameworks (Science and Technology Studies, Sociology of Science, Post.Normal Science, Philosophy of Technology)

Issue 2 - Methods and Practice of Participatory Mapping (submit by December 1st, 2022)

This issue will explore the broad scope of tools, techniques, and data used in participatory mapping, representation and analysis. A myriad of different mapping tools are available today, from desktop software and internet-based web-maps, through to sketch mapping on paper and ephemeral mapping on the ground. The Participatory Mapping field is multi-disciplinary, which has resulted in hundreds of different methods and ways of practice.This issue focuses on the range of different methods used by scholars and practitioners. Especially welcome are articles that evaluate multiple methods and those that debut new ways of practice that have not been formally explored before in academic literature.

  *   Technical and non-technical methods, and their interactions
  *   Visualisation techniques
  *   Collection, sources and treatment of data
  *   Software and apps
  *   Hardware tools and systems
  *   Paper methods and mind mapping
  *   Mediation, negotiation, and facilitation methods
  *   Conflict management strategies

Issue 3-Indigenous and Rural Community Mapping (submit by  April 2023)

What defines these types of participatory mapping processes is the fusion of collaborative map-making with spatial justice and land rights. These maps express people’s relationships to territory and resources so as to describe and communicate community affinities with, and/or, alienation from, these lands. These maps are often used to redress issues related to the reclamation of places and landscapes. As technologies develop, the range and use of mapping tools, including digital tools, by Indigenous and rural communities grows.

Fundamental issues to be addressed include the shift of boundary conceptions and increased sense of land entitlement. We welcome articles that address such issues related to Indigenous and rural mapping, territoriality, and the digital application of geospatial tools in the context of land rights, landscape management, risk analysis, reinforcing inter-generational history/identity, etc

  *   Indigenous and rural mapping in land claims and other political processes
  *   The role and application of Indigenous maps in rewriting colonial understandings of territoriality and land relationships
  *   Experiences and challenges to implementing digital geospatial tools in Indigenous communities

Issue 4 - The Impact of Participatory Mapping on Urban Planning and Development (submit by August 2023)

Participatory mapping is a social engagement tool that promotes citizen participation in community urban planning and decision-making processes. Academics and practitioners often refer to participatory mapping’s capacity to have local and even regional impact. In this issue, we invite articles that explore the application of participatory mapping in local and regional community planning, as well as articles that show practical examples and case studies of how the practice can transform people's lives. We welcome articles with a special focus on the global south, where the challenges of unplanned urbanisation coupled with governance characterised by less or no social participation, promote the intensification of wicked urban problems in cities.

  *   Participatory mapping for urban and community planning
  *   New data sources (e.g., from social media) and their challenges for participation in urban planning
  *   Participatory mapping for urban planning that focuses on the main challenges, such as climate change, hyper-urbanisation, and the pandemic
  *   Participatory mapping and resilience and vulnerability in urban development
  *   Counter Mapping and identity mapping within urban contexts

Other Publication Opportunities in the IJPM

The IJPM invites contributors from all sub-fields of participatory mapping to submit articles on trends and current issues that highlight new data, processes, or visualisations. We also welcome submissions of relevant participatory maps. These submissions can be made at any time on a rolling basis. Accepted papers and maps will be added to the four special issues. These publications will be posted on our open-source platform after peer-review and copy editing. If you’re unsure if your topic fits within the scope of our journal, please email journal at pmappingsociety.org.

Sincerely,

Charla Burnett and Carolina Carvalho
Co-editors

Are you passionate about Participatory Mapping?

The International Society for Participatory Mapping (ISPM) is searching for Executive Board Members and Special Advisers to help support our Mission!

Our Website: pmappingsociety.org<https://gmail.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6142e541f362ba5f29e697f62&id=82e77d8595&e=6c7c586a86>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/043c4fbb6a41c5fef4ae63bde/images/41fcc1ca-2078-4062-8cdc-9ce7830462f4.jpg]
Contribute to our online database!

Our members contribute to crowd sourced databases on our website. We are searching for participatory mapping software, forums, publications, and projects from around the world. Our goal is to build a comprehensive global database that provides contributors, policy-makers, and the public with a comprehensive overview of the field. Check out our website: pmappingsociety.org <https://gmail.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6142e541f362ba5f29e697f62&id=ee97104e46&e=6c7c586a86> and all the ways you can contribute!

This email was sent to sergio.acostaylara at mtop.gub.uy<mailto:sergio.acostaylara at mtop.gub.uy>
why did I get this?<https://gmail.us20.list-manage.com/about?u=6142e541f362ba5f29e697f62&id=9e5c1b601f&e=6c7c586a86&c=25f60ebd86>    unsubscribe from this list<https://gmail.us20.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=6142e541f362ba5f29e697f62&id=9e5c1b601f&e=6c7c586a86&c=25f60ebd86>    update subscription preferences<https://gmail.us20.list-manage.com/profile?u=6142e541f362ba5f29e697f62&id=9e5c1b601f&e=6c7c586a86&c=25f60ebd86>
International Society of Participatory Mapping (ISPM) · 325 Leslie St · Lansing, MI 48912-2722 · USA

[Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp]<http://www.mailchimp.com/email-referral/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=referral_marketing&aid=6142e541f362ba5f29e697f62&afl=1>