[Ica-osgeo-labs] Summary notes from FOSS4G Como GeoForAll meetings

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Thu Aug 6 04:28:39 PDT 2015

Hi Venka, Maria, all:

For the lightning report at Seoul, there are notes from most of our
meetings. and links can be found at the bottom of the OSGeo Education and
Curriculum wiki page:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Education_and_Curriculum_Committee.

[I encourage you to follow this lead and do the same documentation for any
GeoForAll meetings in Seoul]

Individual meetings were:

1) Summary of 4-hour GeoForAll preconference meeting:
Notes: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_EU_Como_2015_Preconference_meeting

2) BOF 1 - Main topic -- Building a Vision of GeoForAll in 2020
Notes: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_EU_Como_2015_BOF1

3) BOF 2 - GeoForAll and 'Schools' (not higher education)
Notes: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_EU_Como_2015_BOF2

4) Lastly, we held a post-conference 'Grant Sprint' which, in my view went
very well. This was taking the idea of 'Code Sprints' like the software
teams do and try and do the same thing only to work on collaborative
funding efforts to support GeoForAll. We made progress on a grant proposal
on the thematic group 'Smart Cities and Urban Analytics' [1] that I am
leading and also discussed thre other grant proposals (one already
submitted by Maria Brovelli (COST) and another by Suchith (Agri-GIS) and an
early effort led by Toni that I don't remember if it had a title.

I encourage GeoForAll people in Seoul to consider holding a similar grant
sprint there if anyone on this list is considering going after funding to
support our efforts.

Venka, I think it would be helpful for you to read through these for the
lightning round report so you know what happened there and pull out main
issues. But if you need my help in doing this, let me know.

Cheers and thanks for flying the GeoForAll flag at Seoul.

Charlie