[Ica-osgeo-labs] Website feedback

Venkatesh Raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Sat Aug 29 00:53:49 PDT 2015

Hi Zoltan,

On 8/29/2015 4:00 PM, Siki Zoltan wrote:

> I would add a 5th reason.
>
> Reason #5: In scientific researches black boxes (commercial software)
> are not so useful. One have to know all the details of the used
> algorithms (source code) to make the right conclusions, change an
> algoritm (source code) to get new experiences. it can be done only
> with open source software.
Good point.
However, I would refrain from using the term "commercial" and suggest
using "proprietary" or "closed"
instead. Commerce can be done with FOSS4G stack and the more commerce
using FOSS4G,
the more job opportunities for students, developers and trainers.

Best

Venka

> Universities and Geo4All labs are research centers, too.
> I hope you understand my point, may be my text have to be edited.
>
> Regards,
> Zoltan
>
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2015, Charles Schweik wrote:
>
>> Hi Suchith, all
>>
>> Patrick Hogan made some helpful edits to the text I have on my lab's
>> site
>> (thanks Patrick!), and I then edited it a little more toward some
>> possible
>> useful language for the 'Why universities should join' text. I'm sure
>> there
>> are other points to be made, but its a start. The text is attached.
>>
>> Suchith, not sure who is leading the update to the GeoForAll page on
>> this
>> topic...
>>
>> Cheers
>> Charlie
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 9:29 AM, Jeff McKenna
>> <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> On twitter just now a community leader made a comment that our
>>> website (
>>> http://www.geoforall.org) doesn't clearly point out the benefits for a
>>> university.  We outline "How to Join" (