[Ica-osgeo-labs] Update on OGC E-Learning material

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Mon Jun 29 02:00:12 PDT 2015

Hi Luis,

This looks very interesting and important. (I'm copying the list, so others
also know this is happening).

FYI, I, along with a number of other GeoForAll affiliated university
faculty interested in Urban Science and City Analytics (see [1]) are far
along on a collaborative grant proposal due in early September. The
objective is to fund an international research and education collaboration
over the next four years. If we land it, much of the funding will go toward
travel support for co-located research and education meetings at the FOSS4G
NA and FOSS4G global conferences, including an annual doctoral consortium.

One of the elements in this proposal is a collaborative platform for shared
educational material. There are several possible options ahead. My
questions:

1) By chance will you be at FOSS4G EU in Como? We will be meeting on
Tuesday July 14th, 8:30-11:30 am. One agenda item will be discussing
educational content curation strategies (see [2]), and sign up if you are
coming!

2) Would you be open to us having further discussions about this with you
and OGC and possibly listing you and OGC as a collaborator?

Cheers,
Charlie Schweik

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll_UrbanScience_CityAnalytics
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Europe_2015_GeoForAll_Agenda

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 8:55 PM, Luis Bermudez <lbermudez at opengeospatial.org
> wrote:

> All,
>
> We have made some progress developing OGC online training material.
>
> I have updated the wiki to reflect the latest. Here we have the logical
> groupings we are thinking about in order to make the standards easier to
> digest and explain, and maybe in the future to provide professionals OGC
> certification.
>
> https://github.com/opengeospatial/e-learning/wiki/Content
>

> The source [1] should be easily reusable. We have design it in a way that
> the documentation can be easily incorporated in other places (e.g. OCG
> Live).
>
> For example
>
> - introduction to OGC can be found here in the intro-ogc.rst file [2]
> - introduction to WMS 1.3 [3]
>
> We also have demo server with the content created so far:
>
> http://54.68.173.163/el/
>
> Help, feedback and comments are appreciated.
>
> [1] https://github.com/opengeospatial/e-learning/tree/master/source
> [2]
> https://github.com/opengeospatial/e-learning/tree/master/source/ogc/text
> [3]
> https://github.com/opengeospatial/e-learning/blob/master/source/wms/text/basic-main.rst
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Luis Bermudez, Ph.D.
> Executive Director Compliance and E-Learning
> Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)
> Skype: bermudez_luis
> Twitter: @berdez
> Tel: +1 301 760 7323
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/bermudez
>
> The OGC: Making Location Count

Charlie Schweik

Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Dept of Environmental Conservation and Center for Public Policy and
Administration

Personal website: http://people.umass.edu/cschweik
Publications: http://works.bepress.com/charles_schweik/

Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545