[Ica-osgeo-labs] Looking for Web-GIS syllabi

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at di.uminho.pt
Tue May 26 14:01:24 PDT 2015

Hi Charlie, hi Andy,

Last year I've started (but not finished) a web gis course, based on
OSGeo Live.

My goal was to create a course that could be translated to different
languages, and always using local data.

I've created http://mapmaking.info/ to setup the course. I've just
created contents for chinese students, using chinese data (but I didn't
had time to write it in mandarim, so it is still in english). Now I'm
translating the course to portuguese, using data from Portugal.

My suggestion is to use administrative data for some global source like:
* http://www.gadm.org/
* http://gdem.ersdac.jspacesystems.or.jp/
* OSM planet extracts

Every student would use the same technologies, the same algoritms, but
using data that has some meaning for them. Those interested in teaching
the course to a new community would have to translate the contents and
to provide the equivalent datasets related with the community.

We already have tons of open source software available in different
languagues and amazing data from all around the globe. It is time to
create powerful contens "Think globally" adapted to local learning
communities "act locally".

As a minor note, whenever possible, we should align our syllabus with
the BoK, despite web gis being the weakest BoK topic.

Regards,

Jorge Gustavo

On 26-05-2015 17:37, Charles Schweik wrote:
> Hello GeoForAll colleagues,
>
> Some colleague and I just received some funding to develop a new Web-GIS
> course for Spring 2016, and this week we are working on a rough draft
> syllabus as a requirement from the funder. We're in negotiation with the
> funder on intellectual property rights, but we are confident that we
> will be able to license the course open access under some Creative
> Commons license. I also want to try and use this effort as a step
> forward in our quest to build the content system and a 'new derivative
> work' system.
>
> My request:
> *
> *
> *If you have taught a Web-GIS class in the last few years and are
> willing to share your syllabus with us*, or if you have relevant
> materials you are willing to share, please let me know (and copy my
> developer colleague, Andy Anderson, cc'd above). If we use anything,
> we'd of course give you attribution!
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Charlie Schweik
>
> Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
> Dept of Environmental Conservation and Center for Public Policy and
> Administration

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha