[Ica-osgeo-labs] Looking for Web-GIS syllabi

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Thu May 28 01:40:59 PDT 2015

Hi Cameron, all:

We'll ponder this as well. I'm copying my collaborators.

Charlie

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:31 PM, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Jorge, others,
> One thing which would be very valuable would be to align development of
> GIS training material with the OSGeo-Live build process. Probably
> incorporate training material in the documentation at:
> http://live.osgeo.org
>
> This could be collaboratively developed and continually updated by both
> project teams, training institutes, and our existing teams of translators.
>
> Jorge, it looks like you have a good start on this. I'd be interested to
> see how we could link with OSGeo-Live.
>
> Warm Regards, Cameron
>
> On 27/05/2015 7:01 am, Jorge Gustavo Rocha wrote:
>
>> Hi Charlie, hi Andy,
>>
>> Last year I've started (but not finished) a web gis course, based on
>> OSGeo Live.
>>
>> My goal was to create a course that could be translated to different
>> languages, and always using local data.
>>
>> I've created http://mapmaking.info/ to setup the course. I've just
>> created contents for chinese students, using chinese data (but I didn't had
>> time to write it in mandarim, so it is still in english). Now I'm
>> translating the course to portuguese, using data from Portugal.
>>
>> My suggestion is to use administrative data for some global source like:
>> * http://www.gadm.org/
>> * http://gdem.ersdac.jspacesystems.or.jp/
>> * OSM planet extracts
>>
>> Every student would use the same technologies, the same algoritms, but
>> using data that has some meaning for them. Those interested in teaching the
>> course to a new community would have to translate the contents and to
>> provide the equivalent datasets related with the community.
>>
>> We already have tons of open source software available in different
>> languagues and amazing data from all around the globe. It is time to create
>> powerful contens "Think globally" adapted to local learning communities
>> "act locally".
>>
>> As a minor note, whenever possible, we should align our syllabus with the
>> BoK, despite web gis being the weakest BoK topic.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jorge Gustavo
>>
>> On 26-05-2015 17:37, Charles Schweik wrote:
>>
>>> Hello GeoForAll colleagues,
>>>
>>> Some colleague and I just received some funding to develop a new Web-GIS
>>> course for Spring 2016, and this week we are working on a rough draft
>>> syllabus as a requirement from the funder. We're in negotiation with the
>>> funder on intellectual property rights, but we are confident that we
>>> will be able to license the course open access under some Creative
>>> Commons license. I also want to try and use this effort as a step
>>> forward in our quest to build the content system and a 'new derivative
>>> work' system.
>>>
>>> My request:
>>> *
>>> *
>>> *If you have taught a Web-GIS class in the last few years and are
> [...]

Personal website: http://people.umass.edu/cschweik
Publications: http://works.bepress.com/charles_schweik/

Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545