[Geo4All] [geoforall-ab] Ideas invited from "Geo for All" community for Global Week to help demonstrate and raise awareness of "geo" in education at UNESCO

Christopher Pettit c.pettit at unsw.edu.au
Sun Aug 14 15:49:58 PDT 2016

Dear all,

I think this is a fundamental issue which needs to be dealt with the Geo4All community. What constitutes an Open Source project?

I have been involved in a couple of open source projects which we have been developing for a number of years. We are at a stage that we are just about to release these as  CC licensed open source products and I wanted to do this through OSGeo4All and OpenCitySmart.

In the urban world there has been significant experience mustered in developing and using Cesium and there are now many years of code libraries and resources to take this forward. Also In Australia Cesium is by far the virtual globe platform for choice and over the  years there has been as significant developer community which has come about.

Ok so  now a pro version and an open source version and an active open source development community around it. So what does this mean to the many who have been developing toward this open source project?  I think we really need to hear from AGI and understand what the pro version means for the open source cesium and Geo4All communities.

I welcome a response from Cesium so we can understand what this means and we can have a constructive dialogue on maintaining and growing what has become a very successful open source project.

Regards

Chris

[Title: City Futures - Description: City Futures Logo]

Chris Pettit

Professor of Urban Science

Associate Director, City Futures Research Centre

UGNSW-UNSW Project Director

Built Environment, UNSW AUSTRALIA
UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA
T: +61 (2) 9385 4826

M: +61 422 301 832
E: c.pettit at unsw.edu.au<mailto:c.pettit at unsw.edu.au>
W: cityfutures.net.au<http://www.cityfutures.net.au/>

[EmailSignatureUtzon 2016 resized]<https://www.be.unsw.edu.au/utzon/2016>[cid:image002.png at 01D1EC11.2AE624E0]<http://www.be.unsw.edu.au/events/luminocity-2016?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email_signature&utm_content=general&utm_campaign=Luminocity2016>