[Ica-osgeo-labs] [OSGeo-Discuss] Open Technologies and Open Data in ITS

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Sat Jan 23 07:58:58 PST 2016

Steve and Vicky,

Howdy! We are trying to encourage a kind of collaboration between cities of the world to more collectively solve urban management issues. Given the need to 'see' geospatial data, and 'feel' it to calculate fuel consumption, construction, flooding, and other safety related issues, we would like to get these urban management functionalities into a virtual globe. The idea is that cities would then share the  various functionalities built by the different cities. This is the purpose of the Europa Challenge for OpenCitySmart, http://eurochallenge.como.polimi.it/. Please enter with your wonderful solution to "vehicle routing problems."

[Formal text description]

A population explosion is occurring simultaneous with a massive shift of people moving from rural to urban living. In 1950 at a mere 2.5 billion, we were almost evenly distributed between rural and urban areas. Today we have a global population three times that of 1950, and 80% of the developed world now live in cities.

Our home planet, Earth, must now be wisely cared for if we are to address this exponentially growing problem. Adding to these issues, each year we are consuming 1.5x Earth’s sustainable resources. This cannot continue. The cities of the world must begin to seriously address the issue of sustainable living. If we can work collaboratively to solve these problems, we will all benefit from sharing our best ideas.

This collective problem solving and sharing of solutions will also help us better appreciate our common needs and similar aspirations. In the session open platforms and geospatial tools for building these sustainable living solutions will be presented. These applications, which will contribute to an "OpenCitySmart" will provide the functionalities a city needs to smartly manage urban living, i.e., infrastructure, power, water, sewer, etcetera, transportation, city services, fire, safety, construction, permits, everything a city needs, even support for optimizing agriculture. https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Opencitysmart

Kinid regards,
-Patrick
 (650) 604-5656 (office)
 (650) 269-2788 (cell)