[Geo4All] GeoAcademy course syllabi/goals? was: Introducing GeoAcademy GIS GeoBadges

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Thu Jul 7 14:12:48 PDT 2016

[footnotes following .sig]

Can someone point me to syllabi or educational objectives for the GeoAcademy courses? Something intermediate between the Geospatial Technology Competency Model[1] and the actual course materials (lectures and labs, more below)? What I mean, why I ask:

Suchith Anand[2] (footnotes added)
> GeoAcademy [has] 5 different GIS learning modules:

> * Introduction to Geospatial Technology[3]
> * Spatial Analysis Using GIS[4]
> * Data Acquisition and Management[5]
> * Cartography Using GIS[6]
> * Remote Sensing Using GIS[7]

Note that the course links I added to Dr Anand's quote above are from the FOSS4G Academy Curriculum page[8]. (If one instead goes to the GeoAcademy blog[9], one gets links to enroll in the courses, which may not be desired.)

Suchith Anand[2]
> All the teaching materials are made available in Creative Commons licence so other educators can build upon this at https://github.com/FOSS4GAcademy

That link points to sources for the labs for each course (above) ... which is great, but hardly "all teaching materials" for a course. Am I missing something? If not:

While the course links given above point to both the lectures and labs for each course, I'm not seeing anything comparable to a conventional syllabus or statement of educational goals for each course. E.g., something that would state, for a given course,

* prerequisites

* what KSA[10] a student should expect to gain from the course

* what a teacher should expect a course graduate to know/do

Where to look?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>

[1]: http://www.careeronestop.org/COMPETENCYMODEL/competency-models/geospatial-technology.aspx , most recently archived @ http://web.archive.org/web/20160608185744/http://www.careeronestop.org/COMPETENCYMODEL/competency-models/geospatial-technology.aspx
[2]: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geoforall/2016-July/003042.html
[3]: http://spatialquerylab.com/gst-101-introduction-to-geospatial-technology/
[4]: http://spatialquerylab.com/foss4g-academy-curriculum/gst-102-spatial-analysis/
[5]: http://spatialquerylab.com/foss4g-academy-curriculum/gst-103-data-acquisition-and-management/
[6]: http://spatialquerylab.com/foss4g-academy-curriculum/gst-104-cartographic-design/
[7]: http://spatialquerylab.com/foss4g-academy-curriculum/gst-105-introduction-to-remote-sensing/
[8]: http://spatialquerylab.com/foss4g-academy-curriculum/
[9]: https://fossgeo.org/free-qgis-courses/
[10]: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (apologies for US jargon)