[Ica-osgeo-labs] Geo4All Newsletter - March 2016

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Mar 7 03:38:22 PST 2016

Thanks to Nikos and all our editors for their  dedication and work on producing another excellent edition of Geo4All newsletter. It is great to see the newsletter getting bigger and bigger and it just shows the vibrant activities of our colleagues globally from organising FOSS workshops for Tanzanian Park Ecologists to our plans for Geo4All Schools.

Also congratulations to the amazing work done by our SMART colleagues :-) in Australia who are our lab of the month.  As I started on this “Lab of the month” series for the Geo for All newsletter, I myself started learning more and more about the excellent work that our  amazing colleagues globally have been doing. It is important that we can share these amazing ideas with all, so that it keeps building more synergies. We are a global community and it is this global perspective which gives us strength. It is important that we highlight and share ideas from colleagues in different parts of our home planet.

Australia is an amazing country and a key leader in geospatial science and I have been always inspired by the excellent research done by colleagues there.  In Nov 2013, I was part of an European Union delegation on Research Infrastructure to visit Canberra at events hosted by the Department of Education  of the Australian Government. The Third European Union –Australia workshop and meetings on Research Infrastructure was held in the Australian Academy of Science , Canberra (5-6 Nov 2013) and focussed in the areas of healthy ageing, clean energy and sustainable cities [2] , with a cross cutting theme on industry links. The details of the Joint European Commission- Australian Government Communique is at

http://ec.europa.eu/research/infrastructures/pdf/Third%20European%20Australian%20Workshop%20on%20Research%20Infrastructure%20Communique.pdf

It is our great pleasure to introduce our colleagues at the SMART Open Source Geospatial Laboratory<http://smart.uow.edu.au/osgeo/index.html>, University of Wollongong , Australia as  our “Geo4All” lab of this month whose research reminded me of the essense of this Joint European Commission-Australian Government agreements and spirit of working together for enabling research which focuses on global scale challenges and opportunities. SMART's Open Source Geospatial Lab is undertaking a number of research projects that are centered on the use and development of free and Open Source Geospatial software to assist governments, business and the community in responding to infrastructure problems and creating solutions for the future. So read the Geo4All newsletters to keep updated on our latest developments at http://www.geoforall.org/newsletters/