[Geo4All] Vision for an OSGeo education program

Franz-Josef Behr franz-josef.behr at hft-stuttgart.de
Mon Nov 7 11:06:53 PST 2016

Dear colleagues,

I'd like to add a further aspect into this discussion: The question of
certification.

Inspired by a talk given by Arnulf Christl at FOSS4G 2014, Portland, and
a motivating BoF meeting at FOSS4G Europe 2015 in Como, Tanzeel Khan,
Philipp Davis (GeoAcademy) and I developed a certification framework
comprising three main categories with eleven sub-categories, as well as
a business case for open source certification and a corresponding SWOT
model to support the goals of our Geo-For-All initiative [1].

Each certification is described by pre-conditions, scope and objectives,
course content, recommended software packages, target group, expected
benefits, and the methods of examination. Examinations can be flanked by
proofs of professional career paths and achievements which need a peer
qualification evaluation and a re-certification after a couple of years.

We hope that this certification approach will contribute to the quality
of OSGeo-oriented education and to the acceptance of our FOSS tools and
skills in the Geospatial business field.

I encourage you to form a group of people which seek to push OS based
education and certification forward. We need partnership, support and
endorsement by OSGeo (or Geo4All or similar bodies), educators and
universities worldwide.

Best regards - Franz-Josef

[1]
https://www.conftool.pro/isprs2016/index.php?page=browseSessions&search=Behr