[Geo4All] Vision for an OSGeo education program -- and planning for FOSS4G Global in Boston, August 2017

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sun Oct 30 04:52:30 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Can we start a thread on planning GeoForAll meeting(s) co-located at FOSS4G
Boston?  Has anyone considered offering some kind of GeoForAll-related
educational workshop? If so, what subject? Can we plan another
"Grant-sprint" like we did in FOSS4G Europe in Como? Does anyone have any
grants they are looking to go after, that we could work together on? Or
should we set aside a day before or after the conference to work on the all
ellusive collaborative system for sharing educational content?

I've created a GeoForAll planning wiki page for this upcoming conference.
Add your names and ideas on what we do there at:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll/FOSS4GBoston

Cheers,

Charlie

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 7:12 AM, Bridget Fleming <bridget at afrispatial.co.za>
wrote:

> To add my bit from South Africa. Online GIS software is not a solution as
> internet access for us is expensive and most of our schools do not have
> connectivity. I’ve written a short paper on my GIS experiences in our local
> Journal for SA Geography Teachers: http://sagta.org.za/JoGESA-V2.php
>
> QGIS ‘power lessons’ work best where GIS practioners come in and give
> short courses directly to the students. Even the most IT-savvy teachers are
> too fearful to give GIS classes. We have started a GIS Olympiad which is
> being rolled out nationally. My colleague will be presenting a paper at the
> upcoming AAG conference in Boston and I’ll do similar at the FOSS4G
> conference, also in Boston in August next year. I’m looking forward to
> meeting like-minded geographers in education as we need to pool our ideas.
> Gavin Fleming, my long-suffering husband has helped build a tangible
> landscape using GRASS GIS. My kids/ grade 8 to 12 love it. GIS has taken
> geography to another level. Keeping it simple works and Open Source does
> the trick!
>
> Kind regards
> Bridget Fleming
>
> On 2016/10/29, 8:58 AM, "GeoForAll on behalf of Suchith Anand" <
> geoforall-bounces at lists.osgeo.org on behalf of
> Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>     Yes, we are making use of all opportunities to promote GeoForAll ideas
> and i don't think any properitery vendor can stop  GeoMentors from
> promoting GeoForAll ideas on the sidelines :-)  or stopping students from
> using GIS Day to promote GeoForAll [even though that was not at all  the
> properitery vendor's original intention].
>
>     So we welcome all efforts from everyone in prompting geoeducation
> opportunities for all :-)
>
>     Best wishes,
>
>     Suchith

Charlie Schweik

Professor, Department of Environmental Conservation &
Interim Director of the School of Public Policy,
University of Massachusetts, Amherst