[Geo4All] Exclusive use of AGOL for POD Facilitation Academy?

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jan 4 07:50:52 PST 2017

Dear Lori,

Happy New Year. Thanks to Sergio Acosta y Lara for introducing us to you.

Your initiative is excellent  but I do not understand why is exclusively for one properitery GIS vendor only ?  Why are others excluded  ? If so why? Why is Open Principles not included fundamentally in the program?

Openness is fundamental in harnessing the true potential of Geospatial Data Science and expanding digital economy opportunities for all (not just benifitting one vendor!). There is excellent resources developed by our colleagues in USA all in creative commons licence which you are welcome to make use of . These lectures and labs are freely available for you to use and are released under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license. The lectures and labs are aligned to the Geospatial Technology Competency Model and all labs focus on the use of Free and Open Source GIS Software (FOSS4G).The development of the original documents was funded by the Department of Labor (DOL) Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training (TAACCCT) Grant No.  TC-22525-11-60-A-48; Details are at http://spatialquerylab.com/foss4g-academy-curriculum/

Why are Open Principles important in education? Please see the links below

http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/2016/07/sharing-is-caring-why-openness-is-key-for-true-empowerment-and-sustainability/

http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/2016/06/open-consultation-on-the-vision-2030-for-open-geospatial-science/

http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/2016/02/future-of-gis-should-be-empowerment-not-enslavement-examples-needed-for-geo4all-newsletter/

We have moral responsibility to be the voice for open principles in geoeducation and protect open principles for our future generations. We welcome everyone interested to join synergies and work together to support open principles in geoeducation and enable Geo technologies in empowering communities and helping improving the Quality of Life and standards of living for everyone. Let us all work together to help create a world that is more accessible, equitable and full of innovation and opportunities for everyone.

Please contact us for any details needed. Our US colleagues are in this list and happy to answer any specific queries you have. We are looking forward to work with you. Happy Year of Open 2017 [1].

Dr. Suchith Anand

http://www.geoforall.org/

http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/

GeoForAll – Building and expanding Open Geospatial Science

[1] http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/2017/01/happy-year-of-open-2017/