[Geo4All] UN SDG mapping book updates

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Jun 2 02:31:37 PDT 2017

Anthony,

Thank you for your email and I am happy we are having free and open discussions and this is exactly the openness spirit  that we need.  I welcome your ideas and inputs. I have made very clear I am fully supporting the need for both properitery and open solutions.  GeoForAll is fully open and all the major properitery GIS vendor staff are members of our mailing lists and we welcome everyone.

I was specifically talking about this particular book on UN SDG goals which is the effort of many commissions  and colleagues, so it is important there is open discussions on where is it published and it should not be used indirectly to promote any vendors agenda . Many of our ICA colleagues at the ICA Commission on Open Source Geospatial Technologies have been working hard over the years for expanding geoeducation opportunities for all forever.

I hope I also got a right to say my opinion. For decades  most of the developing world never got real opportunity to learn GIS and now only  we are getting that opportunity in true spirit and I am determined that poor peoples voice is heard (they do not have sponsorship power as vendors).

The fact that we having this discussion in a free and  open environment and everyone is welcome to share their inputs and ideas is the strength of open communities and open principles.