[Geo4All] UN SDG mapping book updates

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Jun 2 06:26:26 PDT 2017

Dear Anthony,

Free and Open discussions are the way we work and we greatly welcome different ideas and perspectives. We value everyone's inputs and everyone are welcome to join and provide inputs. We won't be able to even have this open discussion in the properitery GIS vendor mail lists. You won't be able to even send an email on GeoForAll to the properitery GIS vendor's education maillist! You are always welcome to share your ideas to geoforall community, GeoforAll advisory board, OSGeo Board and we will be happy to discuss ideas.

To be clear my specific query was on this particular issue where the voluntary contributions of  all commissions (including commission on open source  geospatial technologies that I am a member) for the UN SDG “Mapping” Goals are to be published as a book  . Having it sponsored and published by a properitery GIS vendor will mean they will have their own agenda promoted as the Mapping agenda for UN SDG.  We have so many examples already where properitery GIS vendors have used sponsorship as backdoor to have their agenda pushed. It is important we learn from experiences . We are a education and scientific community and it is important we work with all and listen to all perspectives but as this book is specifically  related to UN SDG it should not be used for any sponsorship activities from any vendors or pushing any specific vendor agendas.

This book is done by volunteer efforts of members and should be published as an open book through the ICA website in creative commons licence. So I really don’t understand why this important collaborative work on UN SDG  needs to be published specifically through properitery GIS vendor publishing house  who will have conflict of interest to open solutions and open principles.  Open solutions and principles are also key part of  achieving UN SDG 2030.