[Geo4All] UN SDG mapping book updates

SERGIO ACOSTAYLARA sergio.acostaylara at mtop.gub.uy
Tue Jun 20 10:24:22 PDT 2017

Well, glad to know about it and congratulations to these initiatives. But at High Schools things seem to be different and a change is needed urgently. With these strategies (making it available to them to no charge -now, not later-) proprietary vendors are guiding Secondary students in the use of their software without having these students the opportunity to even know of the existence of FOSS4G alternatives. So when they get to universities they only know how to work with this particular GIS and to change to another one is not always easy. But at least you have this opportunity. Things are different in the job market: if you are looking for a job and you see that most are looking for technicians in that proprietary software, you will want to learn it; if you are an employer and you see that all only know how to work with that software then you will feel compelled to buy it. Intelligent marketing traps in which we must avoid falling. One possible strategy is to make a big effort in introducing FOSS4G in schools and high schools. In my opinion we have a thematic group for this: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll_TeacherTraining_SchoolEducation. I hope we could make it more active in the near future (I don't even know if it is at all active; maybe someone in the list can tell about it)

Best,

Sergio Acosta y Lara
Departamento de Geomática
Dirección Nacional de Topografía