[Geo4All] [OSGeo-Discuss] The Pledge – I support Open Principles for Science and Education for building a better world for everyone

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jun 21 02:33:53 PDT 2017

Luís,

Many thanks for your inputs. There is an economic and social inequality with regard to access to, use of, or impact  of digital opportunities . Yes, we need to highlight the need for bridging the “digital divide”  and the importance of providing access to quality education opportunities for all forever. The combination of Internet ,digital technologies and smart phones have truly started to open doors for education opportunities to science and technology and learning about it to all  and has enabled mass innovation.  Access to quality education is everyone’s birthright and now we truly have opportunity to make this possible .  We need to ensure these doors for digital economy opportunities are always open and inclusive  to ensure that there are no artificial barriers created by vested interests (in terms of software lockins,  costs, properitery licences) that prevent educators and academics from giving away software and learning resources as they wish for learning and innovation for their students.

We will add this to the pledge.