[Geo4All] FOSS4G Webinar Friday April 7 4:00 PM GMT_10:00 AM Mountain Time

Moreno-sanchez, Rafael Rafael.Moreno at ucdenver.edu
Fri Mar 31 13:46:21 PDT 2017

Hi everyone,
Here is the announcement of our next webinar in the GeoForAll webinar series.

This webinar is offered jointly with ASPRS and UCGIS.
Friday April 7, 2017 4:00 PM GMT (10:00 AM Mountain Time)
Link to webinar access (free):
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7696885240669077761
How Free/Open Source Geomatics Can be Integrated into Rural Communities to Improve Resilience and Quality of Life
Andrea Giacomelli aka pibinko,  Dario Canal, Simone Sandrucci, Pietro Marini and Luigi Ciampini

The presentation will provide a showcase on ten years of projects undertaken primarily in the metalliferous hills of Tuscany, about 100 km South of Florence, exposing how free/open source geomatics, integrated with other skills, systematically helps to make our day and, with a little help from our friends (mainly, but not exclusively, residents of the area), might also provide one of the assets to develop the area. Key highlights will be represented by initiatives related to ancient hand ball games, light pollution, community maps, and biodiversity. We will also give some outlook on our plans for the current year, and make an invitation.

Andrea Giacomelli aka pibinko - MS Environmental Engineering Politecnico di Milano, PhD Politecnico di Milano, has been working with GIS since 1993 and with free/open-source geomatics since 1994, being in the first generation of Italian users of GRASS. He is a documented contributor to Shapelib, and in 1998 was the author of the apr2html extension for ArcView (basically allowing a read- only but "open" access to ArcView projects). He has been working in numerous GIS projects applied to environment, tourism, industrial sites, utility management and more, dealing with all aspects of a system's life cycle. In 2006 he started proposing his own project related to protection and promotion of lesser known assets in the fields of culture, environment, and open innovation. Since 2011 he runs his operations from two small villages in Southern Tuscany (Torniella and Tatti), travelling when necessary and often hosting projects and events.

Rafael Moreno, Ph.D.
Department of Geography and Environmental Sciences
University of Colorado Denver
Office: North Classroom 3524, Auraria Campus
Campus Box 172
1200 Larimer Street NC 3524
Denver, CO 80204
Phone: 303-352-3762