[Geo4All] GeoForAll teaching and research resources

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sat Jan 27 06:14:35 PST 2018

Hi,

Just wanted to say -- these pages in the below email are a really great
start, in my humble opinion. Nice work!

I'd like to circle back to what I was trying to jumpstart when I did my
GeoForAll webinar on Commons-based Peer Production [0]. *What we need to do
is self-identify GeoForAll labs, willing to collaborate on some educational
topic (or research agenda), and start collaborating.*

For example, my colleagues and I at UMass are working on a set of exercises
for an Applications in Unmanned Aerial Systems class for higher education.
As we get initial exercises done, we will plan to make them available,
somehow, under "In your classroom" [1] with Creative Commons licenses that
allow sharing and permit new derivatives. We're in dialog with Michael
Starek and Phil Davis about this with the goal of collaboration between our
two GeoForAll labs.

Version control is still a question.

GeoAcademy uses Github to store their content which is great. I just worry
that for some that might be too technical for some. There are a number of
other options. GitBook [2] is one, Rice U's OpenStax [3], or even something
as simple as shared, read only, Google Drive folders. I'm going to take
this collaboration opportunity to work on this more. What we want, I
believe, is something very simple, with few rules or standards that be a
negative force slowing down collaboration.

In short:

I encourage other Geoforall labs working in education to identify two-lab
collaboration opportunities to develop and share GeoForAll educational
content in some area that *you need for your own teaching*, and let's try
and build a content library moving toward open access to educational
"source" and version control, as a community. Let's see what new stuff we
can have under [1] by the end of summer 2018!

If anyone takes up this challenge -- let us know!

Cheers,

Charlie

[0] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVCDME7cxUA&t=994s
[1] https://www.osgeo.org/initiatives/geo-for-all/in-your-classroom/
[2] https://www.gitbook.com/  <https://www.gitbook.com/>
[3] https://cnx.org/

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 6:02 AM, Suchith Anand <
Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear colleague,
>
> We now have a new website for GeoForAll [1] and we are happy to share the
> teaching and research resources we have with everyone. It is work in
> progress and we will be adding more resources over time.
>
> We are also inviting feedbacks to help us improve.
>
> Please check the resources available at
>
> *For your Teaching* https://www.osgeo.org/initiatives/geo-for-all/in-
> your-classroom/
>
> *For your Research* https://www.osgeo.org/initiatives/geo-for-all/in-
> your-research/
>
> *For your class projects* https://www.osgeo.org/
> initiatives/geo-for-all/for-your-class-project/
>
> We have democratized  GIS so everyone and our future generations are now
> owners of these resources. Every one of you are also the owners of all
> these software and you have full freedom  to use  as you wish for your
> education needs and also donate it to your students as you wish without any
> vendor  permissions!
>
> We thank all colleagues for their selfless efforts over many years which
> has helped us to make this possible. I will always be grateful to every one
> of them.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Suchith
>
> [1] https://www.osgeo.org/initiatives/geo-for-all/

> message in error, please contact the sender and delete the email and attachment.
>
> Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored where permitted by law.

Charlie Schweik

Professor
Department of Environmental Conservation &
School of Public Policy
University of Massachusetts, Amherst

"Make positive change in your sphere of influence." -- CMS