[Geo4All] Final CFP (go.illinois.edu/gsi-cfp2): Second NSF Workshop on Conceptualizing a National Geospatial Software Institute

Suchith Anand suchith_anand at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 05:56:24 PDT 2018

Dear Shaowen,

Thank you for sharing the summary of previous excellent workshop. Great to know that the institute is aimed to help bridge academia and industry and will benefit both sides. I think this is good idea. Having many industry players will ensure healthy competition to help accelerate innovation opportunities for all.

“Fake news “and “Fake Science” are becoming big problems globally, so we all need to be very attentive on all developments. I do have concerns with  some vendors starting to trademark “science” for marketing their products etc, thereby “science” is being misused . I have raised this issue through an open letter [1] .

As the vendors are very powerful and with lot of money power they can buy influence . I think it is important that all advisors and staff involved  in all public funded projects declare any conflict of interest with any vendors (funding/sponsorship  received from any software vendors currently or in the past) ) to ensure transparency and good practices. Thanks.

[1] https://www.rd-alliance.org/group/geospatial-ig/post/open-letter-importance-scientific-freedom-and-public-good