[Geo4All] Journal editors - please share summary statistics

Christian Willmes c.willmes at uni-koeln.de
Thu Jul 19 02:49:39 PDT 2018

Dear Suchith,

I fully support your initiative. May I suggest that the letter should be
written with positive connotation. Not denouncing this or that
particular publication, or practice, but promoting what is good for
science.

In particular I think promoting Open Science and Reproducible
Experiments (in our case source code and reproducible GIS Analysis
workflows/algorithms) including open access to the underlying (input and
result) data is key here. I.e. a proprietary software tool would not
qualify for this approach, because without access to the software (or
its underlying algorithms/implementations), the experiment would not be
fully reproducible.

If that is straight, most corruption that we maybe see currently will
evade, because transparency helps here a lot.

Best regards,
Christian

Am 17.07.2018 um 10:55 schrieb Suchith Anand:

> Dear colleagues,
>

> It has come to my attention that there is rapid increase in low
> quality and dubious submissions send to all journals. This is a global
> problem that needs a coordinated effort to help solve.With the rapid
> increase in lot of low quality and dubioussubmissions to all journals
> , it is important that all professional and scientific organisations
> are careful in this .
>

> My humble suggestion is that all  GIS professional organisations
> should avoidtaking any sponsorship or royalty for scholarly
> publications (books, journals etc) from anyGIS vendors . If a
> professional association takes sponsorship for any scholarly
> publication (edited books etc)from any GIS vendor and agrees to
> publish it through the vendor’s press then there is potential issues
> with independent peer review and ensuring scientific quality. It is
> only natural that any GIS vendor publication press to have vested
> interests in promoting their products and  agenda.It also makes it
> easy for the vendor to get endorsement for their products from
> scientific and professional organisations using this route.
>

> By taking sponsorship for scholarly publications (edited books etc)
>  from any vendors , it will then become difficult for the Professional
> Organisations to take strong moralstand against low quality and
> dubious submissions for other journals .Especially in times we are
> seeing increase in fake scientific articles etc, it is important
> tohave clear guidelines for any sponsorship.
>

> I am happy to work on a Open Letter to highlight this issue but will
> need help from the wider community. If you are a journal editor, it
> will be very helpful, if you can share the statistics of how
> manyarticles that you have identified in the last three years that are
> problem and you have rejected .It will be helpful to share examples of
> these (removing author details etc) , so the wider community is aware
> of the problem and can take steps to help reduce the problem in the
> future.
>

> Best wishes,

> attachment.

> where permitted by law.

Dr. Christian Willmes
AG GIS & Fernerkundung      | GIS & RS Group
Geographisches Institut     | Institute of Geography
Universität zu Köln         | University of Cologne
Tel.: +49 (0)221 470 6234
http://www.geographie.uni-koeln.de/14126.html
http://www.sfb806.de
http://crc806db.uni-koeln.de