[Geo4All] asking for help

Andy Anderson aanderson at amherst.edu
Fri Nov 2 05:21:35 PDT 2018

I would follow the references in Wikipedia to their original source. Think of it as a research guide.

Keep in mind that the division of the continent of Eurasia into the two separate pieces of Europe and Asia is based primarily on human geography, not physical geography. It is now generally extended to the Urals, but in history I think it has been defined by the expansion of Christian kingdoms eastward into Poland and Russia.

My 1968 Encyclopedia Britannica says “There has long been doubt as to the exact boundary between Europe and Asia; in general the watershed of the Ural mountains and that of the Caucasus as been taken, though sometimes the latter is replaced by the official frontier of the U.S.S.R. [south of the Caucasus to Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan] A conference of  Russian geographers in 1958 made recommendations, subsequently accepted by the Soviet government. The boundary now follows the foot of the eastern slopes of the Urals and their prolongation the Mugodzhar hills, the Emba river, the northern shore of the Caspian sea, the Kumo-Manychskaya Vpadina (depression) and the Kerchenski strait to the Black Sea. Thus the Urals are now all included in Europe, the Caucasus in Asia.”

The watersheds of the Urals and the Caucasus seems far more natural boundaries to me, though.

— Andy

>>> http://www.geographie.uni-koeln.de/14126.html
>>> http://www.sfb806.de
>>> http://crc806db.uni-koeln.de