[Geo4All] [OSGeo-Discuss] What is Openwashing? Is there any examples in GIS Vendors?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Nov 2 03:54:58 PDT 2018

Let's see what the main player has to say about open source:

http://www.esriuk.com/software/open/open-source

"As part of Esri’s technology and business strategy, we release and
support open-source software. We have shared 350+ open-source projects
on the developer collaboration platform GitHub. We also provide many
focused open-source solutions for customizing and extending ArcGIS."

This can be considered "open washing" because most, if not all, of the
"open-source solutions" still *require* a proprietary GIS.

Its been a while since I nosed round ESRI's github, but this appears
to not require ArcGIS:

 https://github.com/Esri/geometry-api-java

has anyone compared its performance with the JTS? -
https://github.com/locationtech/jts - assuming its functionality is
similar...

Barry