[Geo4All] Fw: AGU sessions on geospatial intelligence, research data repositories, open source software

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jun 27 00:22:07 PDT 2019

________________________________
From: OpenGeoscience <opengeoscience-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> on behalf of Klump, Jens (Mineral Resources, Kensington WA)
Sent: 27 June 2019 06:41
To: 'Liste gis-user at gfz-potsdam.de'; forschungsdaten at listserv.dfn.de; AGU ESSI; opengeoscience at lists.osgeo.org; wiss-software at listserv.dfn.de
Subject: [OpenGeoscience] AGU sessions on geospatial intelligence, research data repositories, open source software

Dear Colleagues,

The upcoming AGU Fall Meeting is being held in San Francisco 9-13 December 2019 and will coincide with AGU's Centennial celebration in 2019. Again, there will be many interesting sessions, and I would like to draw your attention to three of them to invite you to submit an abstract. The deadline for abstract submissions is 31 July 2019.

IN012 - Best Practices and Realities of Research Data Repositories
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/prelim.cgi/Session/80917

In recent years not only has the number of Earth and environmental research data repositories increased markedly, so has their range of maturities and capabilities to integrate into the ecosystem of modern scientific communication. Efforts such as the FAIR Data Principles, the CoreTrustSeal Certification for the trustworthiness of research data repositories, and the Enabling FAIR Data Commitment Statement have all raised expectations we have towards research data repositories. So, how do repositories and publication processes live up to these benchmarks and future expectations?

IN031 Geospatial Intelligence: Data-Driven Research in the Earth Sciences
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/prelim.cgi/Session/80929

Amount and variety of data created in the process of measuring and modelling Earth's subsystems are drastically increasing with ever-improving computational and data acquisition capabilities. Data-driven methods have enhanced traditional approaches to the earth sciences, giving us new insight into a wide range of Earth processes. Machine Learning (ML) methods have enabled the analysis of large data volumes in geosciences that would not have been possible otherwise. The ability to integrate big data into scientific workflows and emerging new machine learning methods has opened new avenues of research and can fill in the gaps where traditional approaches fall short.

NS003 - A tour of open-source software packages for the geosciences
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm19/prelim.cgi/Session/78079

This session will be a rapid-fire tour (5 min) of open source tools freely available for researchers in the geosciences. The fast-growing open source software ecosystem is creating new tools and changing paradigms for how computers and collaborations are used to study Earth processes. If you have written open-source software that could be useful to others, we look forward to seeing your submission. This session will not only be an opportunity to showcase your own packages and learn about other available tools, but we also hope it will be an opportunity to connect with others working on related problems and lead to opportunities to form new collaborations. The session will be accompanied by posters where the audience can engage individually with the presenters. We welcome submissions from all domains.

I hope you or one of your colleagues can participate.

I am looking forward to seeing you again at the AGU Centenary Fall Meeting this time in San Francisco!

Cheers,

Jens Klump

--
Dr Jens Klump
Team Leader Geoscience Analytics

E jens.klump at csiro.au T +61 8 6436 8828
CSIRO ARRC, 26 Dick Perry Avenue, Kensington, WA 6151, Australia

www.csiro.au<http://www.csiro.au>
http://ORCID.org/0000-0001-5911-6022

CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the lands that we live and work on across Australia and pays its respect to Elders past and present.

attachment.

where permitted by law.