[Geo4All] Geo4All webinar from last Fri video posted

Moreno-Sanchez, Rafael Rafael.Moreno at ucdenver.edu
Mon Mar 18 16:35:35 PDT 2019

Hi everyone,
The video of our seminar from last Friday is posted in our Geo4All YouTube Channel.
The link to the slides is in the video description.
Check it out:
https://youtu.be/jHbEn66--Os

Using Maptime and Libraries to teach FOSS4G

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4DDB0.FE58C4C0]

Diane Fritz

Auraria Library / University of Colorado Denver

Often, the curriculum on higher education campuses focuses on proprietary geospatial software that has been dominantly used in the geospatial sector, so offerings of FOSS4G courses can be lacking given the limited time of educators.  The purpose of this webinar is to help set up a framework for FOSS4G education through Maptime meetups (e.g. https://www.meetup.com/MaptimeMileHigh/) and/or through libraries activities when FOSS4G regular university courses are not available.  I'll describe the concept of Maptime meetings, ideas on how to structure them and how they can stand alone or interplay with academic or public library support.  This exposure to FOSS4G can broaden the education of those working with proprietary GIS software, support those who want to dabble in geospatial science and technology as part of their research or hobby, and introduce geospatial scientists to a whole suite of tools they can use to accomplish their teaching and research.

Rafael Moreno, Ph.D.
Department of Geography and Environmental Sciences
University of Colorado Denver
Office: North Classroom 3524, Auraria Campus
Campus Box 172
1200 Larimer Street NC 3524
Denver, CO 80204
Phone: 303-315-7556