[Geo4All] Help needed for finding examples of EO contributing to livelihood and income increase of economically poor

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Sep 3 12:24:44 PDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

I am requesting help to find examples of Earth Observation (EO) projects that I can use in my presentation to demonstrate EO contributing directly to livelihood and income increase for economically poor world wide . Is there any information on any GIS/EO projects which give  statistics and data on how that project helped directly contribute to livelihood and income increase for economically poor people in any country? If so, please share this information with me. I will gratefully acknowledge your contribution in my presentation.

I need data and information specifically on how the use and application of EO has  increased the income of  economically poor people in the area , how many people benifited and approximately how much percent increase is.

For example, I came across the video presentation on “Open GIS powered call center for livestock herders in Mali” that was presented by Alex Orenstein at FOSS4G 2019 in Bucharest  [1],[2] last week.

The presentation is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRVJNLWFyFU

Looking through some background information at the project website at http://www.snv.org/project/stamp-building-success  I understand that after one year of commercial operation, GARBAL service recorded more than 55,000 users. On competition, Sustainable Technology Adaptation for Mali's Pastoralists (STAMP) project will benefit 45,000 additional pastoralists with the aim to

  1.  Livestock mortality reduced by 10%;
  2.  livestock productivity improved by 10%;
  3.  Income from livestock increased by 10%.

Some background information at

http://www.geosahel.info/

https://stamp-mali.org/en/

http://www.snv.org/project/stamp-building-success

Is there similar statistics available for any other GIS/EO projects on income/livelihood increase for economically poor people ? If so, please share this with me before 15th Sep 2019. Thank you for your help in this.

[1]https://media.ccc.de/c/foss4g2019

[2] https://www.youtube.com/foss4g

attachment.

where permitted by law.