[Geo4All] Job Offer: “Lead: Geo Machine Learning for Good” Senior Spatial Data Science Expert (m, f, d) 100% permanent, HeiGIT gGmbH

Alexander Zipf zipf at uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Jan 3 02:36:46 PST 2022

*Job advertisement HeiGIT gGmbH*

/You want to use your machine learning expertise for the benefit of
society and the environment? You want to improve the availability and
quality of geospatial data and further develop geoinformatics methods
used for open, non-profit applications in the field of sustainability,
mobility and humanitarian aid? That’s our mission, too!/

HeiGIT gGmbH <http://heigit.org/>is a research-oriented, non-profit
start-up with the goals of technology transfer and applied research in
the field of geoinformatics, especially in areas such as humanitarian
aid or other non-profit goals for the benefit of society and the
environment. Application examples include humanitarian aid and disaster
management, sustainable mobility or applications and data products to
support sustainability and climate action. To strengthen our core
competency in Machine Learning, esp. Deep Learning and Spatial Data
Science, we are looking as soon as possible for a

    *Lead: Geo Machine Learning for Good*

*Senior Spatial Data Science Expert (m, f, d), 100%, permanent position*

Your tasks will lie in the cross-departmental further development and
establishment of the increased use of advanced Machine Learning and Data
Science methods in all groups and subject areas of HeiGIT gGmbH. These
are intended to enhance or enable HeiGIT’s open, non-profit applications
and new innovative data products for the benefit of society or the
environment. The focus will be on the following topics and tasks:

  * Generation of large-scale, high-resolution free geodata products for
    applications in areas such as humanitarian aid, disaster management,
    health care, sustainable mobility, nature and climate protection
    (e.g. climate change mitigation & adaptation)
  * Quality assessment of the geospatial data used for this purpose and
    of the resulting data products
  * Innovative use of advanced machine learning methods (supporting the
    initiation of new projects and relevant data products, towards
    “actionable data”)
  * Data fusion of heterogeneous data sources for geoinformation
  * Development of powerful Big Spatial Data algorithms, methods and GI
    web services, especially for the analysis and data enrichment of
    heterogeneous global geodata sets
  * Initiation and monitoring of corresponding research projects
  * Coaching the team
  * Considering potential bias, ethical use and FAIR principles in
    machine learning and data science and their applications

/We expect:/

  * a team-oriented, highly motivated Senior Scientist with
  * distinctive experience of several years in the use and further
    development of methods from the fields of Machine Learning, Deep
    Learning and Spatial Data Science in relation to geodata.
  * Knowledge especially of user-generated geospatial data such as
    OpenStreetMap (OSM), social media, citizen science data, or open
    government data in one or more of the above application domains for
    the benefit of society and the environment.
  * Experience in interdisciplinary project management (national,
    international)
  * ideally leadership experience
  * An above average university degree or PhD in one of the subjects
    such as geoinformatics, computer science, geography, mathematics,
    physics or similar,
  * interest in working at the interface between science and practical
    requirements with implementations for different user groups (e.g.
    requirements of aid organizations, environmental organizations,
    government agencies & citizens etc.)
  * German language skills preferred, but “English only” also possible
  * Excellent communication and presentation skills

/We offer/

  * an attractive, permanent senior position (up to 100%)
  * in an interdisciplinary team
  * interfacing research and social real-world impact
  * in a highly dynamic and growing field,
  * supporting action towards a better society and environment.
  * And am attractive pension scheme and social benefits.
  * We offer a stimulating interdisciplinary research environment with
    many opportunities for personal development
  * in one of the most livable cities in Germany.

As an affiliated institute of Heidelberg University, HeiGIT gGmbH works
closely with theGIScience Research Group
<http://uni-heidelberg.de/gis>of Heidelberg University, which is a
member of the<https://typo.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/home>/Interdisciplinary
Center for Scientific Computing (IWR)
<https://typo.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/home>/and theHeidelberg Center for
the Environment (HCE)<https://www.hce.uni-heidelberg.de/index_en.html>of
Heidelberg University. HeiGIT receives core funding from the Klaus
Tschira Foundation (KTS), Heidelberg.

The position is to be filled*permanently as soon as possible*. Please
send your meaningful application with CV, certificates, references, etc.
as soon as possible*- ideally by 31.01.2022 -*digitally
to*stefan.gumbrich at heigit.org*.**

/We are looking forward to your application!/

PDF Version here
<http://k1z.blog.uni-heidelberg.de/files/2022/01/jobheigitlead-machinelearning4good1-22englisch.pdf>.

German version here
<http://k1z.blog.uni-heidelberg.de/2021/12/16/job-offer-lead-geo-machine-learning-for-good-senior-spatial-data-science-expert-m-f-d-100-permanent-heigit-ggmbh/>.

You may also want to check or forward our other current job
announcements at HeiGIT and GIScience:in addition to the Team Lead
ML4Good we also offer positions like*Senior Science Manager, Agile
Coach,**Public Relations and Communication*
<http://k1z.blog.uni-heidelberg.de/2021/12/27/we-are-hiring-several-new-giscience-jobs-in-sight-in-heidelberg-at-heigit/>.
And last but not least we also offer aproject related position
<http://k1z.blog.uni-heidelberg.de/2021/12/04/stellenausschreibung-geoinformatik-heidelberg-project-geco-generating-high-resolution-co2-maps-by-machine-learning-based-geodata-fusion/>for
highly /innovative research projects related to climate change/at the
GIScience research group <http://uni-heidelberg.de/gis>at Heidelberg
University, as already announced: *GeCO: Generating high-resolution CO2
maps by Machine Learning-based geodata fusion*
<http://k1z.blog.uni-heidelberg.de/2021/12/04/stellenausschreibung-geoinformatik-heidelberg-project-geco-generating-high-resolution-co2-maps-by-machine-learning-based-geodata-fusion/>.

HeiGIT