[Geo4All] I-GUIDE Webinar - Navigating the Evolving Educational Landscape in a Convergent Geospatial World

Wang, Shaowen shaowen at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 16 10:50:07 PDT 2022

Navigating the Evolving Educational Landscape in a Convergent Geospatial World

Presenter: Eric Shook, University of Minnesota
Discussant: Michael Goodchild, UC Santa Barbara (emeritus)

Wednesday March 23, 2022
2 – 3 pm, CDT

The needs of geospatial education and workforce development are shifting under our feet. This webinar will explore these shifts and discuss first steps aimed at adapting to a new educational landscape by connecting three active projects. The NSF-supported Hour of Cyberinfrastructure project is helping learners build Cyber Literacy for GIScience. The GeoCommons--a place for space--will serve as a geospatial collaboration hub for research, education, and engagement at the University of Minnesota. The NSF-supported I-GUIDE aims to transform geospatial data-intensive sciences, in part through innovating education and workforce development programs. Dr. Shook will share his vision and experiences in the pursuit of lowering barriers, bridging silos, supporting diverse learner pathways, and broadening education beyond a single degree.

All info and registration here: https://emails.illinois.edu/newsletter/892834071.html

The National Science Foundation (NSF) Institute for Geospatial Understanding through an Integrative Discovery Environment (I-GUIDE, https://iguide.illinois.edu/) aims to transform geospatial data-intensive sciences through integration of AI and cyberGIS, reproducible data-intensive analytics and modeling, FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable) data principles, and innovative education and workforce development programs. I-GUIDE is launching a webinar series to showcase innovative research and education advanced by I-GUIDE collaborators and partners.

Shaowen Wang
Professor and Department Head, Department of Geography and Geographic Information Science<http://www.geog.illinois.edu/>
Affiliate Professor, Computer Science<https://cs.illinois.edu/>, Information Sciences<http://ischool.illinois.edu/>, Urban & Regional Planning<http://www.urban.illinois.edu/>
Founding Director, CyberGIS Center for Advanced Digital and Spatial Studies (CyberGIS Center)<http://cybergis.illinois.edu/>