[Geo4All] NSF I-GUIDE webinar today (2:00 - 3:00 pm CDT)

Wang, Shaowen shaowen at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 23 07:54:29 PDT 2022

Click here to see this online<http://links.illinois.edu/f/a/AJlat-qPnnIy2b25unRx2Q~~/AAMFlAA~/RgRkE9TAP0Q1aHR0cHM6Ly9lbWFpbHMuaWxsaW5vaXMuZWR1L25ld3NsZXR0ZXIvODkyODM0MDcxLmh0bWxXA3NwY0IKYirATzFiVgwwI1IUc2hhb3dlbkBpbGxpbm9pcy5lZHVYBAAAAAQ~>

[I-Guide Header image]

I-GUIDE Webinar Series: March 23, 2022

The National Science Foundation (NSF) Institute for Geospatial Understanding through an Integrative Discovery Environment (I-GUIDE, https://iguide.illinois.edu/<http://links.illinois.edu/f/a/p3tQZ-lPeArzg8pLS4DW0A~~/AAMFlAA~/RgRkE9TAP0QcaHR0cHM6Ly9pZ3VpZGUuaWxsaW5vaXMuZWR1L1cDc3BjQgpiKsBPMWJWDDAjUhRzaGFvd2VuQGlsbGlub2lzLmVkdVgEAAAABA~~>) aims to transform geospatial data-intensive sciences through integration of AI and cyberGIS, reproducible data-intensive analytics and modeling, FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable) data principles, and innovative education and workforce development programs. I-GUIDE is launching a webinar series to showcase innovative research and education advanced by I-GUIDE collaborators and partners.

Date: March 23, 2022

Time: 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm CDT
Register Now!<http://links.illinois.edu/f/a/G-0hAdZG220lCAnmhDcPVg~~/AAMFlAA~/RgRkE9TAP0RDaHR0cHM6Ly9pbGxpbm9pcy56b29tLnVzL3dlYmluYXIvcmVnaXN0ZXIvV05fcXN1dzB4X3hTMUt2MlI5dWhzLW5pd1cDc3BjQgpiKsBPMWJWDDAjUhRzaGFvd2VuQGlsbGlub2lzLmVkdVgEAAAABA~~>

The initial webinar in this series will be held on March 23, 2022. During this webinar, Dr. Eric Shook, University of Minnesota, will showcase his vision and experiences in the pursuit of lowering barriers, bridging silos, supporting diverse learner pathways, and broadening education beyond a single degree. Dr. Michael Goodchild, University of California at Santa Barbara, will serve as a discussant for the webinar. We hope you will be able to join this webinar and learn from their insights.

Navigating the Evolving Educational Landscape in a Convergent Geospatial World

Eric Shook
University of Minnesota

The needs of geospatial education and workforce development are shifting under our feet. This webinar will explore these shifts and discuss first steps aimed at adapting to a new educational landscape by connecting three active projects. The NSF-supported Hour of Cyberinfrastructure project is helping learners build Cyber Literacy for GIScience. The GeoCommons--a place for space--will serve as a geospatial collaboration hub for research, education, and engagement at the University of Minnesota. The NSF-supported I-GUIDE aims to transform geospatial data-intensive sciences, in part through innovating education and workforce development programs. Dr. Shook will share his vision and experiences in the pursuit of lowering barriers, bridging silos, supporting diverse learner pathways, and broadening education beyond a single degree.

[Eric Shook]

Eric Shook is an Associate Professor in the Department of Geography, Environment, and Society at the University of Minnesota in the Twin Cities. His research and teaching are focused on geospatial computing, which is situated at the intersection of geographic information science and computational science. He serves as the Vice-Chair for Education in the University Consortium for Geographic Information Science, Domain Champion for GIS in the Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment (XSEDE), PI of the NSF-supported Hour of CI project, and co-lead of the Education and Workforce Development team for the NSF-supported I-GUIDE project.

[Michael F. Goodchild]

Michael F. Goodchild is Emeritus Professor of Geography at the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he also holds the title of Research Professor. He is also Distinguished Chair Professor at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University and Research Professor at Arizona State University, and holds many other affiliate, adjunct, and honorary positions at universities around the world. Until his retirement in June 2012 he was Jack and Laura Dangermond Professor of Geography, and Director of UCSB’s Center for Spatial Studies. He received his BA degree from Cambridge University in Physics in 1965 and his PhD in geography from McMaster University in 1969, and has received five honorary doctorates. He was elected member of the National Academy of Sciences and Foreign Member of the Royal Society of Canada in 2002, member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2006, and Foreign Member of the Royal Society and Corresponding Fellow of the British Academy in 2010; and in 2007 he received the Prix Vautrin Lud. He was editor of Geographical Analysis between 1987 and 1990 and editor of the Methods, Models, and Geographic Information Sciences section of the Annals of the Association of American Geographers from 2000 to 2006. He serves on the editorial boards of ten other journals and book series, and has published over 15 books and 500 articles. He was Chair of the National Research Council’s Mapping Science Committee from 1997 to 1999, and of the Advisory Committee on Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences of the National Science Foundation from 2008 to 2010. His research interests center on geographic information science, spatial analysis, and uncertainty in geographic data.

I-GUIDE<http://links.illinois.edu/f/a/p3tQZ-lPeArzg8pLS4DW0A~~/AAMFlAA~/RgRkE9TAP0QcaHR0cHM6Ly9pZ3VpZGUuaWxsaW5vaXMuZWR1L1cDc3BjQgpiKsBPMWJWDDAjUhRzaGFvd2VuQGlsbGlub2lzLmVkdVgEAAAABA~~> | Institute for Geospatial Understanding through an Integrative Discovery Environment<http://links.illinois.edu/f/a/p3tQZ-lPeArzg8pLS4DW0A~~/AAMFlAA~/RgRkE9TAP0QcaHR0cHM6Ly9pZ3VpZGUuaWxsaW5vaXMuZWR1L1cDc3BjQgpiKsBPMWJWDDAjUhRzaGFvd2VuQGlsbGlub2lzLmVkdVgEAAAABA~~>