[geojquery] SVN or Git

Volker Mische volker.mische at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 07:18:15 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I start a new thread to make things easier to discuss. As we have no
real Steering Committee yet, everyone can join the discussions. I'd like
to hear an opinion from everyone who cares.

There are two options:
1) SVN: getting SVN/Trac up and running on OSGeo.
Pro: We are already where we'd like to end up
Con: We are in early stages, Git is better to collaborate (AFIAK there
is information/podcasts from the jQuery team how great Github worked out
for them)

2) Git: getting Git up and running on Github/Gitorious
Pro:
  - Easier collaboration.
  - Git is just so nice, once you've wrapped your head around it
  - OpenLayers does it for it's early stages 3.0 development as well
Con:
  - OSGeo doesn't have Git yet. So once we move to OSGeo we would need
to move back to SVN. Though I could imagine that getting OSGeo setting
up Git repos shouldn't be too hard in the long term.

Note to 2): There are two major Git providers, Github and Gitorious.
Github is huge, Gitorious is way smaller, but the software Gitorious
drives is open source (AGPL). I prefer supporting open source wherever
possible, but I have to admit that Github sadly one the war when it
comes to the number of users. It's more likely that we get more traction
when we use Github.

My personal favourite: I would go for Git+Github.

Cheers,
   Volker