[geojquery] Size of the resulting JS stack

Just van den Broecke just at justobjects.nl
Mon Mar 15 10:18:03 EDT 2010

Yves Moisan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I find the threads in the new GeoJQuery list very stimulating, but
> please allow this non technical question.  One issue we have with the
> Ext-based solution is the weight of the libraries (and licence issues
> too for some people but that's another thread).  GeoExt compressed is
> IIRC around 60 KB.  Ext 3.0 is 600 KB.  I'm probably forgetting a few MBs.
I have the following stats for the minified libs of ExtJS v3.1.0
OpenLayers SVN r10095 and GeoExt SVN r1928:

ext-base.js 32K
ext-all.js 636K
OpenLayers.js 844K
GeoExt.js 96K

So a total of around 1.5 MB.
These and some css are required for GeoExt. With OpenLayers and ExtJS
(http://www.extjs.com/products/extjs/build) one can build custom
versions that exclude unused classes/code. For example, for a mobile
site using only WMS, I have built an OpenLayers minified lib of 124K.
I haven't tried yet with ExtJS.

> Would a GeoJquery "UI" stack that would have the equivalent of what
> GeoExt delivers (or will deliver) be much smaller ?  I don't know much
> of JQuery.  I know there's JQuery UI, but I also gather there's someting
> called JQuery Tools that compresses to 5 kB and offers a bunch of UI
> goodies.  So, what would be the resulting JQuery* stack componentwise
> and sizewise like ?
Hard to say, as indicated above one can assemble custom builds. A full
OL takes a fair share.

best,

Just