[geomoose-psc] https for geomoose.org

Jim Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Wed May 24 20:24:13 PDT 2017

I have enabled https on the *.geomoose.org sites.  Besides generally
being considered a good idea lately, and Let's Encrypt making it trivial
and free to do so, the motivation is that some features in GeoMoose 3.0,
most notably the "Find Me", are blocked by Chrome if they don't
originate from an a site served by https.

This does cause some warnings and blocking now from pulling things in
from non-https external sites.

The FOSS4G image hosted at mapserver.org has no https equivalent that I
have found.  We could self host as an easy work around.

The Google maps API in 2.x is pulled in using
http://maps.googleapis.com  and not https://maps.googleapis.com (or
//maps.googleapis.com).

OpenStreetMap is pulled in from XYZ using http (defined in the mapbook)

ArcGIS 9.3 Rest Example is pulled in using http.

Weather Radar is pulled in using http.

These will require a patches to all the active 2.x series branches so
they are picked up in the demo.

There is probably more, but this is what I found in a quick test.  I
haven't checked if the remote sites are available over https or not.  If
they are not, are the mixed-content warnings acceptable?

Other thoughts?