[geomoose-psc] GeoMoose Supported NodeJS Vesion(s)?

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Nov 14 08:22:52 PST 2017

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Jim Klassen <klassen.js at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to come up with a policy for which nodejs versions we
> officially support for the *build* toolchain.  My general thoughts are

Do we need a policy for the *build* toolchain?

> either current LTS (8.9.1 now) or current and previous LTS (now 6.9.x).
> The benefits to two versions is it gives us and others more leeway when
> to update things. The benefit to one version is that is likely what we
> are testing in practice and it can simplify the build scripts.

More than one version seems infeasible.  We'll actively be working
with one.  Maybe additional versions will work but that could be
happenstance, not design.

> The nodejs release schedule is here [1]:
> Node 8.x became LTS on 2017-10-31 and will be supported until 2019-12.
> Node 6.x became LTS on 2016-10-18 and will be supported until 2019-4.
> Node 4.x became LTS on 2015-10-1 and will be supported until 2018-4.
> (We made some efforts to support this version at one point, but it has
> not been tested in a long time by me and probably doesn't currently work
> with GeoMoose).
>
> I also point out that 8.9.1 doesn't build out of the box on Ubuntu 14.04
> because the gcc version is not new enough.  I'm pretty sure Jessie and
> 16.04 are ok with 8.9.1.
>
> So how do people feel about supporting:
>
> A) Current LTS version of nodejs only.
>
>   or
>
> B) Current and previous LTS versions of nodejs.
>

> (Note: the demo server is still on Ubuntu 14.04 due to MapScript not
> being in Ubuntu 16.04.  Of course GeoMoose 3 doesn't care about
> MapScript, but we are still hosting GeoMoose 2.9 demo which does.  This
> could easily be split up so it isn't the end of the world, just where
> we're at now.)

C) Whatever one version is convenient based on a variety of factors
like MapScript running a previous version of the demo.  Not to be
flippant, but since this an internal facing build tool, I'm not
convinced that we need a policy.

Best regards, Eli