[geomoose-psc] quick website question, where to put geomoose as a technology?

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Tue Oct 17 16:10:54 PDT 2017

Jody,

It’s actually usable in both of the those categories.  I would lean a bit more towards the Portal description though.   GeoMoose was put together in the forst place to handle the dissemination of large GeoSpatail datasets covering a large area, while still allowing the users to get at the data they needed for their little corner of the map world.

At it’s heart, it was intended  to oraganize and distribute many data layers while also aloow for a visual interface for the discovery of the spatially referenced data (A Portal).  The GeoMoose demo is packaged as a Portal too.  But a key point is that while GeoMoose can connect to other Web services.  It’s essentially a Javascript application that can be used to mine OGC services.  The Demo has these services originating from MapServer.  GeoMoose can also use Tiles, raster and vector, as well as be configured to run in standalone mode.  It really only requires a Browser and some datasets to operate.  A web server helps, but I think I could set it up to run from a flat file location too (I can be corrected here, and proably will :c).

It’s really (REALLY) hard to describe all the GeoMoose capabilities actually.  I’m of the mind to figure out how to pachage it up in more than on way actually, but it’s just not been gotten to yet.  Others here will likely say I’m not 100% with any of this too.

bobb