[geomoose-psc] Thoughts on a new PSC Chair?

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Sep 3 16:28:34 PDT 2020

Hi Dan and all,

It really sounds like we're due a code sprint and gathering... but
alas the times are such that we aren't gathering in Calgary or
elsewhere.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 8:34 AM Dan Little <theduckylittle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>
> Resident PSC Chair here. I know that we could use some improvement in organization and generally that should come down on the chair. Pending issues we have right now:
>
> 1. Keeping OSGeo up to date with our activities. This should be relatively quick and it's on my to do list.

Looks like Jim and maybe I will take care of AGM slides.  For you or
any PSC chair, delegation (and volunteers) make it an easier load.

> 2. Getting some votes together to fairly distribute our funding to Jim and some to myself for development and support efforts.

I've been in favor of financially recognizing Jim's work for some
time.  Really nothing gets done on the project without Jim doing some
amount of grunt work (website, sys admin, packaging, releases, PR
reviews, etc).  Generally, sponsors are willing to fund "cool"
features and no one wants to fund grunt work, library updates, etc.
Using project funding for grunt work seems like a good use.

> 3. Getting regular(ish) PSC meetings together to make those decisions and have some vision planning.

We have been perhaps lax in our meeting frequency.  We can schedule an
arbitrary 2-4 meetings a year and then perhaps that will spur activity
in preparation for the meetings.  We can always cancel or schedule
more meetings.  Putting them on the calendars a long ways out can make
scheduling easier.

> 4. Refreshing the RFC's and their process to make sure we're self-documented.

We probably should review these and update if needed.

> I will continue trying my best to fulfill this role but when I took over from Brian my life was quite a bit different. The last year has brought some major life, career, and health changes for both myself and my kids. Things are starting to settle back into rhythm and I am still very passionate about the project. But I could use some backup so I can keep focusing on the thing that I really like the most -- working on the code.
>
> For anyone who's been frustrated by my management as of late, I'm truly sorry, I know the obligations have been there and am aware I need to get more organized about them. I had to prioritize the physical and mental health of myself and my children.
>
> Anyone who is interested in the Role of PSC Chair please backchannel me. I'm also open to answering any questions about what's happened with me in the background (just didn't want to put it all out on the list).

Catch up more offline.  There is more to a project than code, like
people, and sometimes these non-code items get picked up in between
the code, like at group meetings.

Best regards, Eli