[geomoose-psc] April 2022 PSC meeting notes are on the wiki

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Fri Apr 22 11:22:10 PDT 2022

Interesting stuff (good job on the meeting notes Tanya), and very timely topics.

The day before I left on last Friday for my trip across the frozen wasteland of Saskatchewan, I wanted to to see a weather radar animation of my route, especially my destination as a snow apocalypse was forecast.  The U.S. National Weather Service was of no help since they do not show weather radar in Canada.  Environment Canada's web site uses Lambert Conformal Conic suitable for Southern Ontario, but not for the Canadian prairies.  They do however give a tutorial on building your own (https://eccc-msc.github.io/open-data/usage/tutorial_web-maps_en/) weather animation.

Could I build one using GeoMoose?  Not easily (no API , no time support, etc).  Raw OpenLayers?  Maybe, but their example has performance issues.  I decided on using Leaflet.

Now I had to figure out Env Canada's WMS layers.  Sure would be nice to have a web-based WFS capabilities browser, with some kind of "layer builder" to generate OL/GeoMoose/Leaflet code/config snippets (shout-out to blammo and tchaddad).  I used QGIS to figure out the layers.

The Env Canada example shows "play" and "pause" buttons with a time display.   Sure would be nice to have a time-slider for better time visualization (shout-out to klassenj)

theduckylittle pointed out that CesiumJS is a good tool for integrating 2D in a 3D environment, but I would add that it has a comprehensive system for handling time (so 4D?) and worth a look for ideas if we plan on adding time handling to GeoMoose.

Best Regards,
Brent