[geomoose-psc] PSC meeting tomorrow

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Jan 20 11:33:47 PST 2022

On 2022-01-20 3:07 p.m., Jeff McKenna wrote:
> On 2022-01-20 2:16 p.m., James Klassen wrote:
>>
>> Where are we at with MapServer 8 support?
>>

> Thanks for mentioning this.  I just checked now (loading GeoMoose demo
> into MS4W 5.0 beta2 / MapServer 8.0-dev), and a recent fix by Tanya
> removing OPACITY at the LAYER-level (it should be inside a COMPOSITE
> object instead) is not yet applied in either the 3.8.0 data download
> package on geomoose.org or also on ms4w.com  (so we both must apply this
> fix to the demo package as soon as possible)
> https://github.com/geomoose/gm3-demo-data/commit/c29e41a341a300532984a4daeb26fa14bddc156a
>   I will tackle this today...

Uh-oh, I think I opened a can of worms.  (I spoke to Tanya about this
when I first saw these warnings)  I was hoping that, this would go away
ha.  Here it goes:

- use MapServer 8.0-dev (main branch) with PROJ 8 (any version) and
execute on demo/statedata/basemap.map:

   map2img -m basemap.map -o ttt.png -map_debug 3

And you will see *many* warnings from PROJ of:

   PROJ: Error: utm: Invalid latitude

And the problem layers *don't draw*.

I remember finding the PROJ thread where it was explained that this
validity checking became mandatory as of a certain release, but I don't
have that link at the moment.

My point is: a good review/testing of each mapfile in the demo is
required to make sure the data works with recent PROJ (we may possibly
have to use more valid data)

Thoughts?

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training