[Geomoose-users] [GeoMOOSE] Tree-view and mapbook organization

Scott Oatley swoatley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 20:39:05 EST 2007

Hello Folks,

Yes, these were all good comments/info. However, they actually fit with the
other thread, "[Geomoose-users] Turning off grouped layers." :-)

In this thread, I'm talking about "logically" separating the organization of
layers in the tree-view, from the order they're displayed in the map
display. For example, say I have 26 layers named A-Z. On the screen (map
display), I want them drawn in order A on top through Z on the bottom.
However, in the tree-view I want them organized in 2 folders (groups),
Vowels and Consonants. Essentially logical versus physical ordering schemes.
This shouldn't require any additional mapserver calls compared to the
current capability.

After perusing the code, it looks like zindex is implemented in such a way
that it can have any integer value, not just -1 for substrate layers. I
thought a possible way to implement this would be to have the tree-view
simply match the organization in the mapbook, i.e. the groups, and the
"actual" order of the layers in the file. Display order could then be
controlled by the zindex by assigning values 1 through N to all the layers
as desired. Of course, you could just leave out the zindex values so the
display order would also match the mapbook.

-Scott